Friday, January 1, 2010

The Year We Make Contact/Odyssey Two

So, it's official. We are in the future. 2010. But the number by itself is unimpressive. It only hits home when one actually says, "twenty-ten". At least for me, at this point in time.



And so much has happened in this past decade, especially in regards to gaming. On the 2000 end of the spectrum, games like The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask for the N64 lie. On the 2009 end, we are witness to games like Uncharted 2: Among Thieves for the PS3. Arguments of whether the old games were better or not are unimportant at this point: we've come a long way. And hell, that's just on the console side (and a very, very thin slice of the console side, at that). My PC knowledge is fuzzier, but I can imagine a similar kind of temporal astonishment.



I eagerly anticipate the next decade, whatever it holds. And if Heavy Rain and The Last Guardian (both for the PS3) are any indications, I think I'll be just as taken aback come 2020.

Let's just hope that EarthBound makes its way to the SNES section of the Virtual Console by then.

Happy New Year, everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be shy!