Monday, March 15, 2010

2D Digital Art II - Game Design Project: An Introduction

I realize I haven't talked much about my current schooling on this blog, but that's going to change. No, this isn't some big "tell-all" or anything. This is about an assignment. Specifically, an assignment for my 2D Digital Art II class in my Game Development program -- of which I am in second term -- at George Brown College.

Up until now, the class has been mainly about using programs like Photoshop and Illustrator to make concept art pieces for our future portfolios. I've made some pieces I'm proud of and some I'm not (which I suppose I will post one of these days), but that's beside the point. This particular assignment is to make a basic game design outline for a game of our own creation, and to make concept work for it (the outline is the focus, though). The prof told us that, if we wished, we could post our assignment in pieces on a blog, and that's what I have chosen to do here.

The most intriguing part of all this, though, is that our design is to spawn from randomness. What I mean is that, in class, he had students choose ten words from the dictionary at random. These words are to be interpreted and incorporated into our games in some form or another (all students are using the same list).

The random words are these:
cockpit
lusty
coast
ill-mannered
punk (formerly punkster)
mogul
keep
rip (or R.I.P.)
legend
mark

I still haven't come up with something solid that uses all of these words, but I'm working on it. When I have made a final decision, another post will follow and my game design will begin in earnest.

So, in short, any posts with "2D Digital Art II - Game Design Project" in the title will be for this assignment. For those who actually read my blog, feel free to follow along in this new experience; maybe we'll both learn something. The assignment's due Tuesday, March 30, 2010, so these particular posts will end there.

To be honest, I'm excited, but I'm worried that juggling my other assignments will make this somewhat slipshod. Let us hope that that doesn't happen.

(P.S.: For anyone interested, the prof mentioned that some good (and free) beginning resources for game design are Wikipedia's Game Design page and Sloperama's Game Design FAQs. I'll most likely be using them in this venture.)

1 comment:

  1. I'm worried that juggling my other assignments will make this somewhat slipshod. Let us hope that that doesn't happen.

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy!